Citric acid is a common AHA extracted from, you guessed it, citrus fruits.
As it is an AHA, it has the ability to exfoliate skin. However, it can also be used to change the pH of a formulation.
Unfortunately, there isn’t much research of citric acid, especially when it pertains to it’s use in skincare.
We know it is an AHA, which means it functions similarly to glycolic and lactic acid. From that we also know, it can make a formulation less alkaline because it is acidic.
When it comes to whether or not you should use it, it really depends on how your skin reacts to it. It has be known to cause more irritation than it’s AHA counterparts.
That’s something major to take into consideration.
However, it is likely to produce the same affect as other AHA’s, so if you’re already using one, there isn’t much need to add citric acid to your routine.
It’s other main use in skincare is to do with changing the pH of a formulation. Using highly alkaline or highly acidic skincare isn’t the biggest issue in the beauty realm.
However, according to a 2006 study, the ideal pH for skin is 5. If you feel like your skincare is too alkaline, why not try it!
Lambers H, Piessens S, Bloem A, Pronk H, Finkel P. Natural skin surface pH is on average below 5, which is beneficial for its resident flora. Int J Cosmet Sci. 2006 Oct;28(5):359-70. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-2494.2006.00344.x. PMID: 18489300.
- What Are Ice Rollers and When Should You Use Them?In the world of skincare and beauty, new trends and tools are constantly emerging. One such tool that has gained popularity in recent years is the ice roller. If you’re curious about what ice rollers are and when to use … Read more
- How To Get Glass SkinThe pursuit of flawless, radiant skin has been a beauty goal for centuries, and one of the latest trends to take the skincare world by storm is achieving “glass skin.” Glass skin is a term used to describe skin that … Read more
- How To Layer SkincareAchieving radiant and healthy-looking skin requires more than just using a handful of skincare products. It involves a well-thought-out skincare routine that incorporates the right products in the correct order. This process is commonly referred to as “layering” skincare. If … Read more
- Treating Skincare Chemical BurnsSkincare routines are an essential part of many people’s daily lives, helping to maintain healthy and radiant skin. However, sometimes even the most diligent routines can lead to unexpected problems, like chemical burns. Whether it’s from a new product, an … Read more
- Why Is Skincare Important?Skincare has become an integral part of our daily routines, and for good reason. It’s not just about looking good; it’s about feeling confident and maintaining the health of our largest organ – our skin. In this blog post, we’ll … Read more