If you’ve been following me for a long time, you’ll know that glycolic acid is one of my favourite ingredients.
When it came to picking an ingredient for letter G, the brainstorming didn’t take long. There are still so many people who are confused about this acid.
Today, I’m going to attempt to create a cheat sheet for you. This way, you can come back here to decide whether or not glycolic acid belongs in your skincare routine.
What type of ingredient is glycolic acid?
It is an Alpha Hydroxy Acid or AHA for short.
Glycolic acid is actually the most common type of AHA. It’s made from a widely available plant, sugar cane.Tweet
In skincare AHA’s are used to, as one study put it; ‘reduce the thickness of hyperkeratotic stratum corneum by reducing corneocyte cohesion at lower levels of the stratum corneum’.
In more simple terms, this means it exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells by loosening the bonds between them.
This means they have many benefits.
Benefits of glycolic acid
We know it’s a powerful exfoliant, which means your skin will almost instantly look smoother and brighter.
However, a lesser known benefit of glycolic acid, is that it can speed up cell turnover. This is why it is useful in anti-aging skincare.
Glycolic acid works so well because it is a small molecule. This means it can penetrate the skin deeply.
This property, of glycolic acid, also means it can cause skin sensitivity.
In fact, this study from 2009, found that using glycolic acid can result in increased sensitivity of human skin to solar simulated radiation. They measured skin redness to determine that increase.
This means that, although glycolic acid possess many benefits, there is a risk that your skin will become more sensitive after you use it.
How often can you use it?
If you are new to using chemical exfoliation start with once a week.
Once you feel comfortable with using it, you can increase usage to three times a week. Never use it everyday.
Glow Tonic Pixi
- fungal-acne safe
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant Paula’s Choice
Good Genes Glycolic Acid Treatment Sunday Riley
Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum Farmacy
- fungal-acne safe
Silver Skin Saviour Omorovicza
- fungal-acne safe
Van Scott EJ, Yu RJ. Alpha hydroxy acids: procedures for use in clinical practice. Cutis. 1989 Mar;43(3):222-228.
Thomas, J. R., Dixon, T. K., & Bhattacharyya, T. K. (2013). Effects of topicals on the aging skin process. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics, 21(1), 55-60.
Kornhauser, A., Wei, R. R., Yamaguchi, Y., Coelho, S. G., Kaidbey, K., Barton, C., … & Hearing, V. J. (2009). The effects of topically applied glycolic acid and salicylic acid on ultraviolet radiation-induced erythema, DNA damage and sunburn cell formation in human skin. Journal of dermatological science, 55(1), 10-17.
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]
- AXIS Y Skincare, Korean Skincare ReviewIt has been far too long since I last posted. And even longer since a review was posted on Science and Skincare. However, six months since my last article and I’m ready to share some thoughts on the Korean Skincare brand AXIS Y. AXIS Y is a climate inspired, community focused skincare brand hailing from […]
- SkinStore Latest Skincare DealsSkinStore, apart of the Look Fantastic group, is growing in prominence and has been over the past 10 years. I was shocked to discover they’d been around for 24 years! You may be wondering why one online beauty retailer decided to diverge? What is SkinStore’s USP? Well, apparently it’s the number one destination for premium beauty, […]
- 20 Of The Most Popular Perfumes, According To TikTok To many, perfume is the most intimate way of expressing your inner self and truest personality. Although scent is subjective to taste, there are several fragrances that have gone viral due to their unique scents. So, here are the most popular perfumes ever (this is highly subjective and is based on a small data set). Interested […]