If you’ve been following me for a long time, you’ll know that glycolic acid is one of my favourite ingredients.
When it came to picking an ingredient for letter G, the brainstorming didn’t take long. There are still so many people who are confused about this acid.
Today, I’m going to attempt to create a cheat sheet for you. This way, you can come back here to decide whether or not glycolic acid belongs in your skincare routine.
What type of ingredient is glycolic acid?
It is an Alpha Hydroxy Acid or AHA for short.
Glycolic acid is actually the most common type of AHA. It’s made from a widely available plant, sugar cane.Tweet
In skincare AHA’s are used to, as one study put it; ‘reduce the thickness of hyperkeratotic stratum corneum by reducing corneocyte cohesion at lower levels of the stratum corneum’.
In more simple terms, this means it exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells by loosening the bonds between them.
This means they have many benefits.
Benefits of glycolic acid
We know it’s a powerful exfoliant, which means your skin will almost instantly look smoother and brighter.
However, a lesser known benefit of glycolic acid, is that it can speed up cell turnover. This is why it is useful in anti-aging skincare.
Glycolic acid works so well because it is a small molecule. This means it can penetrate the skin deeply.
This property, of glycolic acid, also means it can cause skin sensitivity.
In fact, this study from 2009, found that using glycolic acid can result in increased sensitivity of human skin to solar simulated radiation. They measured skin redness to determine that increase.
This means that, although glycolic acid possess many benefits, there is a risk that your skin will become more sensitive after you use it.
How often can you use it?
If you are new to using chemical exfoliation start with once a week.
Once you feel comfortable with using it, you can increase usage to three times a week. Never use it everyday.
Glow Tonic Pixi
- fungal-acne safe
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant Paula’s Choice
Good Genes Glycolic Acid Treatment Sunday Riley
Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum Farmacy
- fungal-acne safe
Silver Skin Saviour Omorovicza
- fungal-acne safe
Van Scott EJ, Yu RJ. Alpha hydroxy acids: procedures for use in clinical practice. Cutis. 1989 Mar;43(3):222-228.
Thomas, J. R., Dixon, T. K., & Bhattacharyya, T. K. (2013). Effects of topicals on the aging skin process. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics, 21(1), 55-60.
Kornhauser, A., Wei, R. R., Yamaguchi, Y., Coelho, S. G., Kaidbey, K., Barton, C., … & Hearing, V. J. (2009). The effects of topically applied glycolic acid and salicylic acid on ultraviolet radiation-induced erythema, DNA damage and sunburn cell formation in human skin. Journal of dermatological science, 55(1), 10-17.
- Can You Use Glycolic Acid Everyday?It is generally not recommended to use glycolic acid every day, as it can be irritating to the skin. It is typically used once or twice a week. However, the frequency of use may vary depending on the concentration of the glycolic acid and the specific product that you are using. It is important to […]
- My Top 5 Christmas Beauty Gifts 2022The 1st of December can only mean one thing, its Christmas gift guide day! Every year the anxiety inducing panic of gift buying commences and every year, I try to help you distinguish what is actually worthwhile, with a well research ‘Christmas beauty gift guide’. Before we begin let me remind you of how I […]
- Is Botox Regulated In The UK? Professionals Agree That Regulation of the Aesthetics Sector Must Now Become a PriorityBy Dr Cormac Convery Contrary to popular myth, most people do not approach the medical intervention of aesthetic surgery lightly. Rather, they are seeking a practical and permanent solution to an issue which has been adversely affecting their lives. In the overwhelming majority of procedures carried out by sensible, qualified professionals, this is exactly the […]
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]