If you’ve been following me for a long time, you’ll know that glycolic acid is one of my favourite ingredients.
When it came to picking an ingredient for letter G, the brainstorming didn’t take long. There are still so many people who are confused about this acid.
Today, I’m going to attempt to create a cheat sheet for you. This way, you can come back here to decide whether or not glycolic acid belongs in your skincare routine.
What type of ingredient is glycolic acid?
It is an Alpha Hydroxy Acid or AHA for short.
Glycolic acid is actually the most common type of AHA. It’s made from a widely available plant, sugar cane.Tweet
In skincare AHA’s are used to, as one study put it; ‘reduce the thickness of hyperkeratotic stratum corneum by reducing corneocyte cohesion at lower levels of the stratum corneum’.
In more simple terms, this means it exfoliates the skin, removing dead skin cells by loosening the bonds between them.
This means they have many benefits.
Benefits of glycolic acid
We know it’s a powerful exfoliant, which means your skin will almost instantly look smoother and brighter.
However, a lesser known benefit of glycolic acid, is that it can speed up cell turnover. This is why it is useful in anti-aging skincare.
Glycolic acid works so well because it is a small molecule. This means it can penetrate the skin deeply.
This property, of glycolic acid, also means it can cause skin sensitivity.
In fact, this study from 2009, found that using glycolic acid can result in increased sensitivity of human skin to solar simulated radiation. They measured skin redness to determine that increase.
This means that, although glycolic acid possess many benefits, there is a risk that your skin will become more sensitive after you use it.
How often can you use it?
If you are new to using chemical exfoliation start with once a week.
Once you feel comfortable with using it, you can increase usage to three times a week. Never use it everyday.
Glow Tonic Pixi
- fungal-acne safe
Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant Paula’s Choice
Good Genes Glycolic Acid Treatment Sunday Riley
Honeymoon Glow AHA Resurfacing Night Serum Farmacy
- fungal-acne safe
Silver Skin Saviour Omorovicza
- fungal-acne safe
Van Scott EJ, Yu RJ. Alpha hydroxy acids: procedures for use in clinical practice. Cutis. 1989 Mar;43(3):222-228.
Thomas, J. R., Dixon, T. K., & Bhattacharyya, T. K. (2013). Effects of topicals on the aging skin process. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics, 21(1), 55-60.
Kornhauser, A., Wei, R. R., Yamaguchi, Y., Coelho, S. G., Kaidbey, K., Barton, C., … & Hearing, V. J. (2009). The effects of topically applied glycolic acid and salicylic acid on ultraviolet radiation-induced erythema, DNA damage and sunburn cell formation in human skin. Journal of dermatological science, 55(1), 10-17.
- The Kiehls Quiz, Moisturiser EditionThe Kiehls quiz is here! Since I created the quiz section of my site, the requests have been poring through. After The Ordinary, Kiehls has been the most requested. I’m assuming because they have a huge catalogue of products to choose from. It’s so big in fact, the quiz has to be broken down into…
- Best Black Friday Skincare DealsLast years Black Friday post went down a treat. So, this year I knew I had to do it again but this time it’s all about skincare. Here are the best black Friday skincare deals I could find! Honestly, this list came together through just hours of me trawling the web. I wasn’t sure of…
- The Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid QuizThe Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid quiz is a much need post. You may be coming hot off the heels of my last post Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid, looking for an easy way to compare your skin needs. Well, this is it. This quiz directly compares your skincare needs to decipher which of these active…
- Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic AcidIf you’ve followed Science and Skincare for any amount of time, you’ll be aware of my posts on acids. Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid will be the highly requested addition to the category that made this site popular. Depending on your skincare knowledge, choosing between the two will either be easy or incredibly difficult. However, one…
- Lilly Ghalichi Opens Up About Botched Filler But What Is Vascular Occlusion?It’s only been a few days since Lilly Ghalichi showed us pictures of her botched filler job and now we can finally ask the question ‘what is vascular occlusion?’. Over the last ten years the use of dermal fillers has risen exponentially. They have been regarded as a relatively safe way to alter your face.…