Today I’m speaking to the founder’s of Fask, to answer your burning questions on maskne.
Maskne is a side effect of the Covid-19 pandemic that doesn’t get that much air time. However, it’s a problem that affects many people, regardless of skin type. So, what is maskne and how do you get rid of it?
Fask is a face mask, designed by pharmacists, to eliminate the risk of maskne. Their masks are supported by London Dermatologist Dr Anil. a Cosmetic Physician.
Dr Anil specialises in Anti-Ageing Medicine and Cosmetic Dermatology. Fask aims to provide you with a safe face mask that cares for your skin and today they answer our mask acne burning questions.
Fask Founders Answer what is maskne and maskitis?
Maskne or mascne is where spots or pimples form due to the clogging of pores caused by wearing face coverings/masks which have materials which do not allow the skin to breathe.
Maskitis is skin rashes which can be seen as small bumps, redness, inflammation and dry, flaky skin. Possibly caused again by materials which may be irritating the skin in certain face coverings.
Those who have or are more prone to eczema and dermatitis have a higher chance of developing maskitis. Those who have oily or acneic skin are more than likely to suffer from maskne.
Our FASK face coverings have been CE tested in a UK lab and have shown to be free of chemicals and made of 100% cotton so is highly breathable and can help reduce maskitis and mascne.
How difficult is it to treat mascne?
There are products to use which can help combat mascne but prevention or reducing the cause of mascne is always better in the long run.
Face masks will be around for some years to come. We would recommend investing in a good quality face covering such as our FASK to help minimise these issues for the long term. It could save a lot of money and trips to the dermatologist in the long run.
What are the easiest ways to treat mascne?
Use a good moisturiser before putting your mask on. Creams like CeraVe and moisturisers that contain ceramides and niacinamide such as Skinceuticals Triple Lipid Moisturiser are great for protecting the skin’s barrier.
• By using a mask that fits well, not too tight. A tight mask will create allergies and increased humidity sweating. Additionally, pore activity causing. Combined this will create acne. Look for masks that have adjustable ear loops so it can be adjusted to fit the individual.
• Use at least 2 masks a day to avoid excess oil production.
• Masks can create friction and dries the skin, thus causing more oil eventually. Thus use a gentle foaming cleanser rather than over exfoliate
• Wear a thin layer of make-up, preferably mineral make-up to prevent clogging of the pores.
• Wear cotton masks which allow the skin to breathe better and are less irritating. The Fask face covering is made from 100% cotton on the inner layers. A cotton and polyester blend make the outer layer, which is breathable and recommended by WHO.
How often should you clean your face mask?
Daily. This means you need multiple face masks to keep them in rotation.