What is collagen? The latest question I aim to answer in the new edition of my series ‘The Essential Skincare Alphabet’.
If you don’t know what this series is please click here for further information. Once you’ve familiarised yourself with what we are going to cover, we will waste no time and get started!
What is collagen?
It’s a building block essentially. Collagen is a structural protein and is incredibly abundant in mammals.
Collagen plays a huge role in the structure of bones, skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It is an important factor in skin elasticity.
What are the sources of collagen?
We naturally make collagen, it is found in the connective tissue and flesh of mammals. However, as we age, the amount of collagen in our system decreases. Hence, why anti-aging skincare focuses on increasing the amount of collagen in our skin.
Almost all of the collagen supplements are derived from animals. They come from the bones skin, and connective tissue of animals including; pigs, rabbits, and horses.
Is collagen vegan?
Collagen comes mostly from animal sources, so a lot of collagen supplements are not vegan.
However, science has found a way to make vegan collagen. Collagen can now be made using genetically modified yeast and bacteria.
You should always check with the brand you wish to purchase from, about where they source their collagen.
What are collagens uses and potential side effects?
In skincare, the replenishment of collagen is a must for anti-ageing. As collagen is such a major component in skin strength, hydration and elasticity, adding a collagen supplement/product to your skincare routine will help reinforce those skin characteristics.
You’ll also be relived to know that collagen doesn’t seem to have many side effects. It shouldn’t cause any irritation to your skin.
If you’re thinking of taking a collagen supplement, however, you should note that some of them are made from common food allergens, such as fish, shellfish, and eggs. If you have any of these allergies, it’s essential you check where your collagen is sourced from.
Collagen Inner Beauty Boost The Beauty Chef
GENIUS Liquid Collagen Algenist
This product is formulated without gluten, GMO, binders, waxers, fillers, alcohol, phthalates, sulfates, parabens, triclosan, nitrosamines, synthetic dyes, or mineral oil.
- fungal-acne safe
Matthew D. Shoulders and Ronald T. Raines
Annual Review of Biochemistry 2009 78:1, 929-958
- Sharon Chuter, Founder of Uoma Beauty, Is Launching A New BrandSharon Chuter sky rocketed in prominence last year. She is the beauty brand founder who started the ‘Pull Up or Shut Up’ challenge. Doing so in response to the BLM protests. Prior to that she was recognised in the beauty industry for her brand Uoma beauty. Now she plans to expand her empire with a…
- Mandelic Acid Vs Salicylic AcidAcids are tricky game, that we can all agree on . Mandelic Acid Vs Salicylic Acid is a much requested post and I understand why. The notion of putting an ‘acid’ on your skin is pretty scary, especially if you’re new to the skincare game. Why would we do it, why are there so many…
- Father’s Day Gifts, Skincare EditionIt feels like only yesterday, that I covered Father’s Day gifts but in actuality it’s been a long and hard year. 20th June, just in case you were wondering. Right around the corner. That’s for the US and UK. This year the list is a little late but nevertheless needed. It’s always nice to show…
- 3 Of The Best Dupes For Drunk Elephant’s Vitamin C SerumDrunk Elephant’s Vitamin C Firma Day Serum is one of my favourite products of all time. The vitamin C it contains is very potent. It leaves you with a very slight tingling sensation and a glow that is unmatched. When the product first launched, it was an instant skincare sensation and had continued to hold…
- TikTok Star, Mikayla Nogueira Launches First Makeup Collaboration with GlamliteMikayla Nogueira is TikTok’s newest breakout star and now the 23 year old is launching her own beauty line. When the covid-19 pandemic hit, she was busy finishing her senior year at Bryant University. Then, along with the rest of the world her plans changed. Read more on covid-19 here. At home outside of Boston and…