What is collagen? The latest question I aim to answer in the new edition of my series ‘The Essential Skincare Alphabet’.
If you don’t know what this series is please click here for further information. Once you’ve familiarised yourself with what we are going to cover, we will waste no time and get started!
What is collagen?
It’s a building block essentially. Collagen is a structural protein and is incredibly abundant in mammals.
Collagen plays a huge role in the structure of bones, skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It is an important factor in skin elasticity.
What are the sources of collagen?
We naturally make collagen, it is found in the connective tissue and flesh of mammals. However, as we age, the amount of collagen in our system decreases. Hence, why anti-aging skincare focuses on increasing the amount of collagen in our skin.
Almost all of the collagen supplements are derived from animals. They come from the bones skin, and connective tissue of animals including; pigs, rabbits, and horses.
Is collagen vegan?
Collagen comes mostly from animal sources, so a lot of collagen supplements are not vegan.
However, science has found a way to make vegan collagen. Collagen can now be made using genetically modified yeast and bacteria.
You should always check with the brand you wish to purchase from, about where they source their collagen.
What are collagens uses and potential side effects?
In skincare, the replenishment of collagen is a must for anti-ageing. As collagen is such a major component in skin strength, hydration and elasticity, adding a collagen supplement/product to your skincare routine will help reinforce those skin characteristics.
You’ll also be relived to know that collagen doesn’t seem to have many side effects. It shouldn’t cause any irritation to your skin.
If you’re thinking of taking a collagen supplement, however, you should note that some of them are made from common food allergens, such as fish, shellfish, and eggs. If you have any of these allergies, it’s essential you check where your collagen is sourced from.
Collagen Inner Beauty Boost The Beauty Chef
GENIUS Liquid Collagen Algenist
This product is formulated without gluten, GMO, binders, waxers, fillers, alcohol, phthalates, sulfates, parabens, triclosan, nitrosamines, synthetic dyes, or mineral oil.
- fungal-acne safe
Matthew D. Shoulders and Ronald T. Raines
Annual Review of Biochemistry 2009 78:1, 929-958
- Huda Beauty Launches Thirst Trap Juice SerumHuda Beauty has launched added the new Thirst Trap Juice Serum, to her Wishful Skincare line. Notable ingredients in the serum include; Vitamin E, Niacinamide and Hyaluronic acid. This means this serum is particularly useful at treating oily skin, scarred skin. It can fight acne and reduce redness. Huda Beauty has made sure to give…
- Aria Growth Partners Take Minority Stake In Hero CosmeticsAria Growth partners are making its first investment, by taking the minority stake in Hero Cosmetics. Hero cosmetics was founded in 2017 by Ju Rhyu with Dwight Lee and Andrew Lee. The brand is popular due to its sophisticated patches that deal with breakouts. The distribute their product via their own site, as well as at…
- What Is Collagen, The Essential Skincare AlphabetWhat is collagen? The latest question I aim to answer in the new edition of my series ‘The Essential Skincare Alphabet’. If you don’t know what this series is please click here for further information. Once you’ve familiarised yourself with what we are going to cover, we will waste no time and get started! What…
- Dove To Launch Refill DeodorantDove is launching a refill deodorant, as a part of Unilever’s larger plan to tackle plastic waste. This is the second big step Dove has taken to cut down on its plastic waste. In 2019 Dove announced one of the biggest plastic reduction plans of its kind in the global beauty industry, which reduces the…
- In Conversation With Lisa Rinna, Founder Of Rinna Beauty And Real Housewife Of Beverly HillsThe founder of Rinna Beauty hardly needs an introduction but I will attempt to give her one anyway. She once stated in a LA Time article “I’ve never been more famous than I am at this point, because of the show”, that show of course is ‘The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills”. It’s true, when…