What is collagen? The latest question I aim to answer in the new edition of my series ‘The Essential Skincare Alphabet’.
If you don’t know what this series is please click here for further information. Once you’ve familiarised yourself with what we are going to cover, we will waste no time and get started!
What is collagen?
It’s a building block essentially. Collagen is a structural protein and is incredibly abundant in mammals.
Collagen plays a huge role in the structure of bones, skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments. It is an important factor in skin elasticity.
What are the sources of collagen?
We naturally make collagen, it is found in the connective tissue and flesh of mammals. However, as we age, the amount of collagen in our system decreases. Hence, why anti-aging skincare focuses on increasing the amount of collagen in our skin.
Almost all of the collagen supplements are derived from animals. They come from the bones skin, and connective tissue of animals including; pigs, rabbits, and horses.
Is collagen vegan?
Collagen comes mostly from animal sources, so a lot of collagen supplements are not vegan.
However, science has found a way to make vegan collagen. Collagen can now be made using genetically modified yeast and bacteria.
You should always check with the brand you wish to purchase from, about where they source their collagen.
What are collagens uses and potential side effects?
In skincare, the replenishment of collagen is a must for anti-ageing. As collagen is such a major component in skin strength, hydration and elasticity, adding a collagen supplement/product to your skincare routine will help reinforce those skin characteristics.
You’ll also be relived to know that collagen doesn’t seem to have many side effects. It shouldn’t cause any irritation to your skin.
If you’re thinking of taking a collagen supplement, however, you should note that some of them are made from common food allergens, such as fish, shellfish, and eggs. If you have any of these allergies, it’s essential you check where your collagen is sourced from.
Collagen Inner Beauty Boost The Beauty Chef
GENIUS Liquid Collagen Algenist
This product is formulated without gluten, GMO, binders, waxers, fillers, alcohol, phthalates, sulfates, parabens, triclosan, nitrosamines, synthetic dyes, or mineral oil.
- fungal-acne safe
Matthew D. Shoulders and Ronald T. Raines
Annual Review of Biochemistry 2009 78:1, 929-958
- What Are Ice Rollers and When Should You Use Them?In the world of skincare and beauty, new trends and tools are constantly emerging. One such tool that has gained popularity in recent years is the ice roller. If you’re curious about what ice rollers are and when to use them, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we’ll explore the world … Read more
- How To Get Glass SkinThe pursuit of flawless, radiant skin has been a beauty goal for centuries, and one of the latest trends to take the skincare world by storm is achieving “glass skin.” Glass skin is a term used to describe skin that looks incredibly smooth, clear, and reflective, akin to the luminous quality of glass. If you’ve … Read more
- How To Layer SkincareAchieving radiant and healthy-looking skin requires more than just using a handful of skincare products. It involves a well-thought-out skincare routine that incorporates the right products in the correct order. This process is commonly referred to as “layering” skincare. If you’ve ever wondered how to layer skincare effectively, you’re in the right place. In this … Read more
- Treating Skincare Chemical BurnsSkincare routines are an essential part of many people’s daily lives, helping to maintain healthy and radiant skin. However, sometimes even the most diligent routines can lead to unexpected problems, like chemical burns. Whether it’s from a new product, an allergic reaction, or a mistake during application, dealing with a chemical burn on your skin … Read more
- Why Is Skincare Important?Skincare has become an integral part of our daily routines, and for good reason. It’s not just about looking good; it’s about feeling confident and maintaining the health of our largest organ – our skin. In this blog post, we’ll explore the reasons why skincare is important and how it can benefit not only your … Read more