Niacinamide, like most skincare ingredients, appears to have come out of nowhere. In fact, in the past year alone Google searches for Niacinamide have more than doubled.
But what exactly is it and why is there a stigma attached to using it?
Well, for starters, it’s a vitamin. Vitamin B3 to be exact, a pretty essential nutrient to human kind.
It’s normally obtained through diet and a lot of food is actually fortified with it but it’s also found naturally in meat, poultry and fish such as; tuna and salmon.
It has a variety of functions (like many other skincare ingredients) including; hydration, protection (it’s an antioxidant) and lightening hyperpigmentation.
How is it used in skincare?
When you see niacinamide as an active in a skincare product it can be doing any of the following things for your skin:
- Regulating sebum production – helps to keep oily skin more matte
- Lightening the skin tone – clinically proven to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and even skin tone
- Helps the skin to maintain hydration – does so by trengthening your skin’s moisture barrier
- Touted as an anti-aging helped – by locking in moisture it is thought that it helps cells to naturally turnover skin cells
- Keeps the skin calm – is anti-inflammatory and works to reduce the swelling and redness, which is often why those suffering with acne use it
So, what’s the problem?
Many people have had issues with niacinamide.
Now that it’s becoming more and more prominent in the skincare world, brushing up your knowledge is a must for this ingredient because as perfectly articulated on the below tweet by @isaveskins, niacinamide is fast becoming known as a common irritant.
It has a lot of benefits and many people swear by it, as proven here:
It’s objective and you’ve got to try it to know. Are there great benefits to using niacinamide? Definitely. Will it work for you or cause you sensitivity? Well, there’s only one way to find out…
Photos courtesy of The Ordinary
- What Are Ice Rollers and When Should You Use Them?In the world of skincare and beauty, new trends and tools are constantly emerging. One such tool that has gained popularity in recent years is the ice roller. If you’re curious about what ice rollers are and when to use them, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we’ll explore the world … Read more
- How To Get Glass SkinThe pursuit of flawless, radiant skin has been a beauty goal for centuries, and one of the latest trends to take the skincare world by storm is achieving “glass skin.” Glass skin is a term used to describe skin that looks incredibly smooth, clear, and reflective, akin to the luminous quality of glass. If you’ve … Read more
- How To Layer SkincareAchieving radiant and healthy-looking skin requires more than just using a handful of skincare products. It involves a well-thought-out skincare routine that incorporates the right products in the correct order. This process is commonly referred to as “layering” skincare. If you’ve ever wondered how to layer skincare effectively, you’re in the right place. In this … Read more
- Treating Skincare Chemical BurnsSkincare routines are an essential part of many people’s daily lives, helping to maintain healthy and radiant skin. However, sometimes even the most diligent routines can lead to unexpected problems, like chemical burns. Whether it’s from a new product, an allergic reaction, or a mistake during application, dealing with a chemical burn on your skin … Read more
- Why Is Skincare Important?Skincare has become an integral part of our daily routines, and for good reason. It’s not just about looking good; it’s about feeling confident and maintaining the health of our largest organ – our skin. In this blog post, we’ll explore the reasons why skincare is important and how it can benefit not only your … Read more