This is just my opinion, but I feel like dimethicone is not spoken about enough. It’s strange because it’s controversial and used often.
If you work in the beauty industry, you aren’t likely to agree with the above sentiment however, ask someone who doesn’t pay attention to beauty. I reckon they’d know nothing of this polarising ingredient.
Well, lets take a look at what it is.
What is dimethicone?
It is a silicon based polymer that is used in beauty and haircare products to give them a super smooth formula.
There are lots of different kinds of silicons in beauty, dimethicone is just one.
There has been some controversy about silicones in general. Most of this was not based on published research but on anecdotal evidence suggesting silicone are irritating and suffocating on the skin.
There is even a study from 2014 (while slightly old in terms of research, I think it is still useful) that assessed the safety of 62 dimethicone crosspolymer ingredients as used in cosmetics.
It found that all of the dimethicone crosspolymer ingredients are safe in the practices of use and concentration found in cosmetics.
What are dimethicone’s sources?
These tend to be made in a lab.
Is it vegan?
Yes, because they are made in labs. It does not contain any animal products.
What are it’s uses and potential side effects?
In beauty products it’s very much about changing the texture of the product. It provides a silky, smooth feel that few other ingredients can replicate.
It’s also used as an emollient and has properties that can lock moisture into the skin’s barrier.
This study concluded it functions mainly in skincare and haircare as an:
- bulking agents
- film former
- hair-conditioning agent
- emollient skin-conditioning agent
- slip modifier
- surface modifier
- nonaqueous viscosity-increasing agent
It’s side effects can vary from person to person and none are guaranteed. The most common complaints about this ingredient, are that it irritates, stings and causes redness to the skin.
Today, there are no product recommendations because it’s mostly texture and this ingredient is found in SO many things. In fact, unless the product states that it is silicone-free, it probably has this in it.
For a look at other product recommendations, for other ingredients click here. If not please subscribe to my mailing list below!
Becker LC, Bergfeld WF, Belsito DV, et al. Safety Assessment of Dimethicone Crosspolymers as Used in Cosmetics. International Journal of Toxicology. 2014;33(2_suppl):65S-115S. doi:10.1177/1091581814524963
- Bubble Skincare Is Now In WalmartBubble Skincare is the fast growing beauty brand that is now available in Walmart. However, this may be the first time you’re hearing about this brand. It is relatively new, it launched in November 2020. Also, if you’re not a teenager, this may not be the brand for you. It’s extremely teen-centric skin care products…
- What Is Butylene Glycol In Skincare?Butylene Glycol plays a very important role in skincare. It improves the texture and penetrability of your skincare. Butylene Glycol summary This ingredient is commonly used in skincare because it has a few important uses. These include enhancing the stability of a formula, the penetrability and the texture. It may also increase skin hydration by…
- Kumiko Skincare Partners With Ricky MartinKumiko Skincare has signed a partnership deal with singer Ricky Martin. The deal will see Martin advertise for the brand for the next three years. Kumiko, a brand founded by Catalina Aguirre. Aguirre worked in media for 15 years before switching gears and delving into her other passion, aesthetics. In 2017, with the aid of…
- Skincare Products With Benzoyl Peroxide In ThemIf you’ve struggled with acne you’ll know what Benzoyl Peroxide is. It’s a gold standard in the acne world. The strongest active in the fight against acne, is generally how it is referred to. But I’m sure you know that. This post is not an explainer but simply a reliable way for you to shop…
- Proven Skincare, The AI-Based Custom Skincare BrandIf you’ve tried every product under the sun and haven’t found what you’re looking for, Proven Skincare maybe your answer. In recent years skincare has been undergoing a dramatic transformation. Due mainly to the pressure to do so, skincare is getting more advanced. Education has been at the forefront of brands and influencers minds for…