This is just my opinion, but I feel like dimethicone is not spoken about enough. It’s strange because it’s controversial and used often.
If you work in the beauty industry, you aren’t likely to agree with the above sentiment however, ask someone who doesn’t pay attention to beauty. I reckon they’d know nothing of this polarising ingredient.
Well, lets take a look at what it is.
What is dimethicone?
It is a silicon based polymer that is used in beauty and haircare products to give them a super smooth formula.
There are lots of different kinds of silicons in beauty, dimethicone is just one.
There has been some controversy about silicones in general. Most of this was not based on published research but on anecdotal evidence suggesting silicone are irritating and suffocating on the skin.
There is even a study from 2014 (while slightly old in terms of research, I think it is still useful) that assessed the safety of 62 dimethicone crosspolymer ingredients as used in cosmetics.
It found that all of the dimethicone crosspolymer ingredients are safe in the practices of use and concentration found in cosmetics.
What are dimethicone’s sources?
These tend to be made in a lab.
Is it vegan?
Yes, because they are made in labs. It does not contain any animal products.
What are it’s uses and potential side effects?
In beauty products it’s very much about changing the texture of the product. It provides a silky, smooth feel that few other ingredients can replicate.
It’s also used as an emollient and has properties that can lock moisture into the skin’s barrier.
This study concluded it functions mainly in skincare and haircare as an:
- bulking agents
- film former
- hair-conditioning agent
- emollient skin-conditioning agent
- slip modifier
- surface modifier
- nonaqueous viscosity-increasing agent
It’s side effects can vary from person to person and none are guaranteed. The most common complaints about this ingredient, are that it irritates, stings and causes redness to the skin.
Today, there are no product recommendations because it’s mostly texture and this ingredient is found in SO many things. In fact, unless the product states that it is silicone-free, it probably has this in it.
For a look at other product recommendations, for other ingredients click here. If not please subscribe to my mailing list below!
Becker LC, Bergfeld WF, Belsito DV, et al. Safety Assessment of Dimethicone Crosspolymers as Used in Cosmetics. International Journal of Toxicology. 2014;33(2_suppl):65S-115S. doi:10.1177/1091581814524963
- The Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid QuizThe Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid quiz is a much need post. You may be coming hot off the heels of my last post Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid, looking for an easy way to compare your skin needs. Well, this is it. This quiz directly compares your skincare needs to decipher which of these active…
- Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic AcidIf you’ve followed Science and Skincare for any amount of time, you’ll be aware of my posts on acids. Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid will be the highly requested addition to the category that made this site popular. Depending on your skincare knowledge, choosing between the two will either be easy or incredibly difficult. However, one…
- Lilly Ghalichi Opens Up About Botched Filler But What Is Vascular Occlusion?It’s only been a few days since Lilly Ghalichi showed us pictures of her botched filler job and now we can finally ask the question ‘what is vascular occlusion?’. Over the last ten years the use of dermal fillers has risen exponentially. They have been regarded as a relatively safe way to alter your face.…
- In Conversation With The Founders Of SkinSortSkinSort is skincare made easy. That’s their tagline and it encapsulates what they do pretty well. The world of skincare seems to get more and more complicated. The more science communicators there is, the more complex the information they are trying to communicate (and in some cases contradictory). SkinSort is the online tool that helps…
- 5 Of The Best Moisturizer’s To Use With TretinoinFinding the best moisturizer to use with tretinoin is easier than is sounds. Tretinoin is a powerful ingredient and so finding products that compliment it may seem daunting. If you’ve come to this post, I’m assuming you are already using tretinoin. So, I’m going to skip the overview and jump straight into the recommendations. To…