This is just my opinion, but I feel like dimethicone is not spoken about enough. It’s strange because it’s controversial and used often.
If you work in the beauty industry, you aren’t likely to agree with the above sentiment however, ask someone who doesn’t pay attention to beauty. I reckon they’d know nothing of this polarising ingredient.
Well, lets take a look at what it is.
What is dimethicone?
It is a silicon based polymer that is used in beauty and haircare products to give them a super smooth formula.
There are lots of different kinds of silicons in beauty, dimethicone is just one.
There has been some controversy about silicones in general. Most of this was not based on published research but on anecdotal evidence suggesting silicone are irritating and suffocating on the skin.
There is even a study from 2014 (while slightly old in terms of research, I think it is still useful) that assessed the safety of 62 dimethicone crosspolymer ingredients as used in cosmetics.
It found that all of the dimethicone crosspolymer ingredients are safe in the practices of use and concentration found in cosmetics.
What are dimethicone’s sources?
These tend to be made in a lab.
Is it vegan?
Yes, because they are made in labs. It does not contain any animal products.
What are it’s uses and potential side effects?
In beauty products it’s very much about changing the texture of the product. It provides a silky, smooth feel that few other ingredients can replicate.
It’s also used as an emollient and has properties that can lock moisture into the skin’s barrier.
This study concluded it functions mainly in skincare and haircare as an:
- bulking agents
- film former
- hair-conditioning agent
- emollient skin-conditioning agent
- slip modifier
- surface modifier
- nonaqueous viscosity-increasing agent
It’s side effects can vary from person to person and none are guaranteed. The most common complaints about this ingredient, are that it irritates, stings and causes redness to the skin.
Today, there are no product recommendations because it’s mostly texture and this ingredient is found in SO many things. In fact, unless the product states that it is silicone-free, it probably has this in it.
For a look at other product recommendations, for other ingredients click here. If not please subscribe to my mailing list below!
Becker LC, Bergfeld WF, Belsito DV, et al. Safety Assessment of Dimethicone Crosspolymers as Used in Cosmetics. International Journal of Toxicology. 2014;33(2_suppl):65S-115S. doi:10.1177/1091581814524963
- What Are Ice Rollers and When Should You Use Them?In the world of skincare and beauty, new trends and tools are constantly emerging. One such tool that has gained popularity in recent years is the ice roller. If you’re curious about what ice rollers are and when to use them, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we’ll explore the world … Read more
- How To Get Glass SkinThe pursuit of flawless, radiant skin has been a beauty goal for centuries, and one of the latest trends to take the skincare world by storm is achieving “glass skin.” Glass skin is a term used to describe skin that looks incredibly smooth, clear, and reflective, akin to the luminous quality of glass. If you’ve … Read more
- How To Layer SkincareAchieving radiant and healthy-looking skin requires more than just using a handful of skincare products. It involves a well-thought-out skincare routine that incorporates the right products in the correct order. This process is commonly referred to as “layering” skincare. If you’ve ever wondered how to layer skincare effectively, you’re in the right place. In this … Read more
- Treating Skincare Chemical BurnsSkincare routines are an essential part of many people’s daily lives, helping to maintain healthy and radiant skin. However, sometimes even the most diligent routines can lead to unexpected problems, like chemical burns. Whether it’s from a new product, an allergic reaction, or a mistake during application, dealing with a chemical burn on your skin … Read more
- Why Is Skincare Important?Skincare has become an integral part of our daily routines, and for good reason. It’s not just about looking good; it’s about feeling confident and maintaining the health of our largest organ – our skin. In this blog post, we’ll explore the reasons why skincare is important and how it can benefit not only your … Read more