Alpha arbutin is a plant extract that comes from berries such as; bearberries, blueberries, and cranberries.
It’s essentially a skin brightening ingredient that has had a fair amount of research under it’s belt. It’s totally safe and has even been described as one of the most efficient skin lightener agents.
Its main purposes include helping to fade scars and pigmentation left behind by breakouts and sun damage.
What does alpha arbutin do to skin?
It works by inhibiting human tyrosinase.
This is important because tyrosinase is an enzyme of melanin production and is one of the most targeted molecule when it comes to hyperpigmentation inhibition.
Alpha arbutin is frequently touted as a efficacious ‘skin brightening’ ingredient (i.e skin lightening) because it does inhibit melanin production but it also known to be gentle.
Gentle, in terms of skincare, simply means it does not irritate your skin. This indicates that your skin will not experience redness, dryness or itchiness.
The reason for this? It may very well be because alpha arbutin has difficulty in skin permeability due to its hydrophilic nature.
A hydrophilic molecule is one that is easily dissolved in water and so it doesn’t tend to penetrate the skin so deeply.
Who should use alpha arbutin?
As it is gentle anyone can use it but it is especially useful for those who want to treat hyperpigmentation specifically.
It can be applied alongside vitamin C or after exfoliating with an AHA. However, these things will make your skin more sensitive and so can cause your alpha arbutin to be more irritating. Therefore, don’t use these ingredients everyday and start with low concentrations.
The best way to see results is with consistent use.
Aung, N.N., Ngawhirunpat, T., Rojanarata, T. et al. HPMC/PVP Dissolving Microneedles: a Promising Delivery Platform to Promote Trans-Epidermal Delivery of Alpha-Arbutin for Skin Lightening. AAPS PharmSciTech 21, 25 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-019-1599-1
Tobias Mann, Wolfram Gerwat, Jan Batzer, Kerstin Eggers, Cathrin Scherner, Horst Wenck, Franz Stäb, Vincent J. Hearing, Klaus-Heinrich Röhm, Ludger Kolbe,
Inhibition of Human Tyrosinase Requires Molecular Motifs Distinctively Different from Mushroom Tyrosinase,
Journal of Investigative Dermatology,
Volume 138, Issue 7,
- Huda Beauty Launches Thirst Trap Juice SerumHuda Beauty has launched added the new Thirst Trap Juice Serum, to her Wishful Skincare line. Notable ingredients in the serum include; Vitamin E, Niacinamide and Hyaluronic acid. This means this serum is particularly useful at treating oily skin, scarred skin. It can fight acne and reduce redness. Huda Beauty has made sure to give…
- Aria Growth Partners Take Minority Stake In Hero CosmeticsAria Growth partners are making its first investment, by taking the minority stake in Hero Cosmetics. Hero cosmetics was founded in 2017 by Ju Rhyu with Dwight Lee and Andrew Lee. The brand is popular due to its sophisticated patches that deal with breakouts. The distribute their product via their own site, as well as at…
- What Is Collagen, The Essential Skincare AlphabetWhat is collagen? The latest question I aim to answer in the new edition of my series ‘The Essential Skincare Alphabet’. If you don’t know what this series is please click here for further information. Once you’ve familiarised yourself with what we are going to cover, we will waste no time and get started! What…
- Dove To Launch Refill DeodorantDove is launching a refill deodorant, as a part of Unilever’s larger plan to tackle plastic waste. This is the second big step Dove has taken to cut down on its plastic waste. In 2019 Dove announced one of the biggest plastic reduction plans of its kind in the global beauty industry, which reduces the…
- In Conversation With Lisa Rinna, Founder Of Rinna Beauty And Real Housewife Of Beverly HillsThe founder of Rinna Beauty hardly needs an introduction but I will attempt to give her one anyway. She once stated in a LA Time article “I’ve never been more famous than I am at this point, because of the show”, that show of course is ‘The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills”. It’s true, when…