Metabolic acidosis is a very serious disorder that is charterized by an imbalance in the acid-base balance of the body.
What causes metabolic acidosis?
Essentially, it is the decrease in body bicarbonate (intermediate form in the deprotonation of carbonic acid) stores, which in-turn has an effect on the metabolic and endocrine systems.
Metabolic acidosis can also be caused by a reduced ability of the kidneys to excrete excess acid or an increase in acid production.
What are the problems caused by metabolic acidosis?
The endocrine system is a complicated structure through which chemical messengers create feedback loops of the hormones released by internal glands of an organism directly into the circulatory system.
This system is essential to a healthy human body.
There are numerous ways in which metabolic acidosis interrupts this system to try to achieve a more equal acid-base balance.
For example metabolic acidosis can create a negative calcium balance which causes resorption from the bones. This is the process by which osteoclasts break down the bone tissue to keep calcium levels in the blood normal.
This can lead to hypercalciuria, too much calcium in the blood which usually comes out in urine. It also means you could have a propensity to kidney stones.
Metabolic acidosis can also result in hypophosphataemia, a phosphorous deficiency that is caused by renal waste.
How do you know if you have metabolic acidosis?
The symptoms are not specific at all and can range from fatigue to headaches and dizziness. The most definitive way to know if you have it is to measure serum electrolytes and arterial blood gases to find the pH, which can be done by a doctor if you are concerned that you have it.
What are the treatments of metabolic acidosis?
This can vary greatly depending on the underlying cause of the acidosis and the severity.
If you hare found to have severe acute acidemia (meaning a pH < 7.11) bicarbonate therapy is recommended.
For those who have more chronic metabolic acidosis including Chronic Kidney Disease a long term solution is needed which can often include monitoring your diet to include base-inducing fruits and vegetables that assist with reducing the urine net acid excretion.
Generally the treatments are centred around adding base (sometimes intravenously) to counteract the increase in acid.
If you are at all concerned about metabolic acidosis, please see a doctor.
- The Kiehls Quiz, Moisturiser EditionThe Kiehls quiz is here! Since I created the quiz section of my site, the requests have been poring through. After The Ordinary, Kiehls has been the most requested. I’m assuming because they have a huge catalogue of products to choose from. It’s so big in fact, the quiz has to be broken down into…
- Best Black Friday Skincare DealsLast years Black Friday post went down a treat. So, this year I knew I had to do it again but this time it’s all about skincare. Here are the best black Friday skincare deals I could find! Honestly, this list came together through just hours of me trawling the web. I wasn’t sure of…
- The Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid QuizThe Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid quiz is a much need post. You may be coming hot off the heels of my last post Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid, looking for an easy way to compare your skin needs. Well, this is it. This quiz directly compares your skincare needs to decipher which of these active…
- Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic AcidIf you’ve followed Science and Skincare for any amount of time, you’ll be aware of my posts on acids. Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid will be the highly requested addition to the category that made this site popular. Depending on your skincare knowledge, choosing between the two will either be easy or incredibly difficult. However, one…
- Lilly Ghalichi Opens Up About Botched Filler But What Is Vascular Occlusion?It’s only been a few days since Lilly Ghalichi showed us pictures of her botched filler job and now we can finally ask the question ‘what is vascular occlusion?’. Over the last ten years the use of dermal fillers has risen exponentially. They have been regarded as a relatively safe way to alter your face.…