Metabolic acidosis is a very serious disorder that is charterized by an imbalance in the acid-base balance of the body.
What causes metabolic acidosis?
Essentially, it is the decrease in body bicarbonate (intermediate form in the deprotonation of carbonic acid) stores, which in-turn has an effect on the metabolic and endocrine systems.
Metabolic acidosis can also be caused by a reduced ability of the kidneys to excrete excess acid or an increase in acid production.
What are the problems caused by metabolic acidosis?
The endocrine system is a complicated structure through which chemical messengers create feedback loops of the hormones released by internal glands of an organism directly into the circulatory system.
This system is essential to a healthy human body.
There are numerous ways in which metabolic acidosis interrupts this system to try to achieve a more equal acid-base balance.
For example metabolic acidosis can create a negative calcium balance which causes resorption from the bones. This is the process by which osteoclasts break down the bone tissue to keep calcium levels in the blood normal.
This can lead to hypercalciuria, too much calcium in the blood which usually comes out in urine. It also means you could have a propensity to kidney stones.
Metabolic acidosis can also result in hypophosphataemia, a phosphorous deficiency that is caused by renal waste.
How do you know if you have metabolic acidosis?
The symptoms are not specific at all and can range from fatigue to headaches and dizziness. The most definitive way to know if you have it is to measure serum electrolytes and arterial blood gases to find the pH, which can be done by a doctor if you are concerned that you have it.
What are the treatments of metabolic acidosis?
This can vary greatly depending on the underlying cause of the acidosis and the severity.
If you hare found to have severe acute acidemia (meaning a pH < 7.11) bicarbonate therapy is recommended.
For those who have more chronic metabolic acidosis including Chronic Kidney Disease a long term solution is needed which can often include monitoring your diet to include base-inducing fruits and vegetables that assist with reducing the urine net acid excretion.
Generally the treatments are centred around adding base (sometimes intravenously) to counteract the increase in acid.
If you are at all concerned about metabolic acidosis, please see a doctor.
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]
- AXIS Y Skincare, Korean Skincare ReviewIt has been far too long since I last posted. And even longer since a review was posted on Science and Skincare. However, six months since my last article and I’m ready to share some thoughts on the Korean Skincare brand AXIS Y. AXIS Y is a climate inspired, community focused skincare brand hailing from […]
- SkinStore Latest Skincare DealsSkinStore, apart of the Look Fantastic group, is growing in prominence and has been over the past 10 years. I was shocked to discover they’d been around for 24 years! You may be wondering why one online beauty retailer decided to diverge? What is SkinStore’s USP? Well, apparently it’s the number one destination for premium beauty, […]
- 20 Of The Most Popular Perfumes, According To TikTok To many, perfume is the most intimate way of expressing your inner self and truest personality. Although scent is subjective to taste, there are several fragrances that have gone viral due to their unique scents. So, here are the most popular perfumes ever (this is highly subjective and is based on a small data set). Interested […]