A report by Fox News claims that a class action suit has been launched against Unilever in the US. The suit alleges that a product from the UK FMCG manufacturer’s TRESemme range causes hair loss.
Accoring to Fox News, the report says ‘the products contain an ingredient or combination of ingredients that causes significant hair loss and/or scalp irritation upon proper application’.
The ingredient in question is, preservative DMDM hydantoin. It’s safety is disputed and disputed and Unilever is charged with failing to warn consumers of the risks associated with the product’s use.
In a statement to Fox News the company said, “consumer safety is always our top priority and all TRESemme products are rigorously assessed to meet stringent safety standards,”
“While we do not comment on pending litigation, DMDM hydantoin is widely used in the beauty industry and has been confirmed by health authorities to be a safe and effective preservative.”
Unilever is said to have known that the ingredient in question could contribute to hair loss since 2012 as it recalled products from its Suave range in that year in light of complaints that they caused hair loss.
What is DMDM hydantoin?
According to chemicalsafetyfacts.org DMDM hydantoin is indeed a preservative in beauty products.
It is used in beauty products, like shampoo, to prevent them from spoiling.
Unilever’s claims that it is used in many beauty products is true. It has been certified as safe at 0.074 percent, or less by Cosmetic Ingredient Review and at a maximum of 0.6 percent by The Cosmetics Directive of the European Union.
The reason why people are skeptical of it’s safety is because it is a formaldehyde donor, which means it releases small levels of formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde is a toxic substance however, any concentrations you would be exposed to in personal care products wouldn’t be enough to cause harm to you. They wouldn’t allow them in the product if that was the case.
The question about this particular case, is where they using DMDM hydantoin at a concentration that was too high?
As the story continues we will find out why exactly TRESemme is being accused of causing hair loss and if it’s down to more than just DMDM hydantoin.
Photos via TRESemme
- Bubble Skincare Is Now In WalmartBubble Skincare is the fast growing beauty brand that is now available in Walmart. However, this may be the first time you’re hearing about this brand. It is relatively new, it launched in November 2020. Also, if you’re not a teenager, this may not be the brand for you. It’s extremely teen-centric skin care products…
- What Is Butylene Glycol In Skincare?Butylene Glycol plays a very important role in skincare. It improves the texture and penetrability of your skincare. Butylene Glycol summary This ingredient is commonly used in skincare because it has a few important uses. These include enhancing the stability of a formula, the penetrability and the texture. It may also increase skin hydration by…
- Kumiko Skincare Partners With Ricky MartinKumiko Skincare has signed a partnership deal with singer Ricky Martin. The deal will see Martin advertise for the brand for the next three years. Kumiko, a brand founded by Catalina Aguirre. Aguirre worked in media for 15 years before switching gears and delving into her other passion, aesthetics. In 2017, with the aid of…
- Skincare Products With Benzoyl Peroxide In ThemIf you’ve struggled with acne you’ll know what Benzoyl Peroxide is. It’s a gold standard in the acne world. The strongest active in the fight against acne, is generally how it is referred to. But I’m sure you know that. This post is not an explainer but simply a reliable way for you to shop…
- Proven Skincare, The AI-Based Custom Skincare BrandIf you’ve tried every product under the sun and haven’t found what you’re looking for, Proven Skincare maybe your answer. In recent years skincare has been undergoing a dramatic transformation. Due mainly to the pressure to do so, skincare is getting more advanced. Education has been at the forefront of brands and influencers minds for…