A report by Fox News claims that a class action suit has been launched against Unilever in the US. The suit alleges that a product from the UK FMCG manufacturer’s TRESemme range causes hair loss.
Accoring to Fox News, the report says ‘the products contain an ingredient or combination of ingredients that causes significant hair loss and/or scalp irritation upon proper application’.
The ingredient in question is, preservative DMDM hydantoin. It’s safety is disputed and disputed and Unilever is charged with failing to warn consumers of the risks associated with the product’s use.
In a statement to Fox News the company said, “consumer safety is always our top priority and all TRESemme products are rigorously assessed to meet stringent safety standards,”
“While we do not comment on pending litigation, DMDM hydantoin is widely used in the beauty industry and has been confirmed by health authorities to be a safe and effective preservative.”
Unilever is said to have known that the ingredient in question could contribute to hair loss since 2012 as it recalled products from its Suave range in that year in light of complaints that they caused hair loss.
What is DMDM hydantoin?
According to chemicalsafetyfacts.org DMDM hydantoin is indeed a preservative in beauty products.
It is used in beauty products, like shampoo, to prevent them from spoiling.
Unilever’s claims that it is used in many beauty products is true. It has been certified as safe at 0.074 percent, or less by Cosmetic Ingredient Review and at a maximum of 0.6 percent by The Cosmetics Directive of the European Union.
The reason why people are skeptical of it’s safety is because it is a formaldehyde donor, which means it releases small levels of formaldehyde.
Formaldehyde is a toxic substance however, any concentrations you would be exposed to in personal care products wouldn’t be enough to cause harm to you. They wouldn’t allow them in the product if that was the case.
The question about this particular case, is where they using DMDM hydantoin at a concentration that was too high?
As the story continues we will find out why exactly TRESemme is being accused of causing hair loss and if it’s down to more than just DMDM hydantoin.
Photos via TRESemme
- What Is Citric Acid?Citric acid is a common AHA extracted from, you guessed it, citrus fruits. As it is an AHA, it has the ability to exfoliate skin. However, it can also be used to change the pH of a formulation. To be able to exfoliate skin, citric acid has to be formulated at a high concentration. Therefore,…
- Becca Is Closing DownYes, it’s true. Becca Cosmetics is closing its doors permanently in September 2021. Here is everything we know so far. They announced the closure yesterday via their Instagram page, attributing the closure to the covid-19 pandemic. In response to a question ‘why?’, the brand said they could not sustain themselves for the long-term. They continued…
- What Is A Suspension In Cosmetics?You ask and I deliver. This time, in my quick Q+A series is, what is a suspension in cosmetics? I was asked to cover this question two weeks ago and it’s a great suggestion. The more the skincare industry progresses, the more education is put in the forefront of that growth. Hence, knowing these cosmetic…
- What Is Glycolic Acid? The Essential Skincare AlphabetIf you’ve been following me for a long time, you’ll know that glycolic acid is one of my favourite ingredients. When it came to picking an ingredient for letter G, the brainstorming didn’t take long. There are still so many people who are confused about this acid. Today, I’m going to attempt to create a…
- What Is Ferulic Acid? The Essential Skincare AlphabetFerulic Acid was at the height of its popularity back in 2020 (i.e the year that no one will talk about again). However, many people missed that boat, and it has all the promise of making a comeback this year. So, lets find out some fast facts and determine whether it’s worth your investment. I’ve…