Have you heard about the Tri-Luma cream on social media recently? I have seen it cropping up everywhere!
The origin of this trend is something I am not entirely sure of. However, I can discuss whether or not it can help your hyperpigmentation.
What Is Tri-Luma Cream Used For?
From what I’ve seen, social media has it right this time. Tri-Luma is a cream that targets hyperpigmentation.
It has three, fluocinolone acetonide, hydroquinone, and tretinoin, powerful ingredients in it. Each ingredient has a very specific function.
Fluocinolone acetonide is a corticosteroid that is used in skincare to reduce inflammation. Hydroquinone is a well-known melanin synthesis inhibitor. This makes it useful in evening out the skin tone.
Lastly, you can find some tretinoin in this product. Tretinoin is a vitamin A derivative that is commonly prescribed by dermatologists for the treatment of acne and acute promyelocytic leukemia. It is sold under varies names including (but not limited to); Altreno, Atralin, Avita and Refissa.
The cream is normally used for the short term treatment of melasma and is not recommended for long term maintenance of the skin condition.
There haven’t been many studies into it’s benefits and the most recent study (I could find) on it’s uses in comparison to other treatments found that it isn’t the most useful way to treat melasma or PIH.
The study found that, while Tri-Luma is US FDA approved, there are many non-HQ brightening/lightening agents, including antioxidant and botanical cosmeceuticals, that can improve the skin, with less potential irritation.
The study also found that combining topical therapy with procedures such as chemical peels, intense pulsed light (IPL), fractional non-ablative lasers or radiofrequency and/or micro needling produces the most enhanced results.
Another potential limitation of the cream to consider before purchase, is that melasma usually recurs upon discontinuation of Tri-Luma.
The pro’s of this cream seem to be that the combination of strong ingredients could provide you with quick, drastic improvements of melasma. However, this cream is not for continued use and therefore any improvements could be lost.
It would seem to be more beneficial to use a variety of more gentle, OTC products if you are not sure what the right treatment to invest in is.
For more information on this cream please speak to a dermatologist.
- Is a Skincare Fridge Worth It?In recent years, skincare fridges have become a trending addition to many beauty enthusiasts’ routines. These compact refrigerators, specifically designed to store skincare products, are marketed as a way to extend the shelf life of certain cosmetics and provide a refreshing and soothing experience when applying products. However, the question remains: are skincare fridges worth… Read more: Is a Skincare Fridge Worth It?
- Drunk Elephant Bronzing Drops ReviewRating: ★★★★☆ Drunk Elephant’s Bronzing Drops, B-Goldi Bright, are a game-changer for anyone seeking that sun-kissed, radiant complexion without the harmful effects of sun exposure. As a loyal fan of the brand, I was eager to try these drops, and they did not disappoint. Product Review: Drunk Elephant Bronzing Drops Skin Types: All skin types… Read more: Drunk Elephant Bronzing Drops Review
- The Best Beauty Advent Calendars of 2023It’s that magical time of year again, and we’re not just talking about the holiday season. The countdown to Christmas is made even more exciting with the arrival of beauty advent calendars. These delightful treasures are a perfect way to pamper yourself or a loved one as each day unfolds. In this post, we’re going… Read more: The Best Beauty Advent Calendars of 2023
- Sustainable Palm Oil: The Beauty DilemmaPalm oil has established itself as a ubiquitous and indispensable ingredient in the beauty industry,finding its way into an array of cosmetic and personal care products. It’s widespread use can be attributed to several key characteristics that make it a valuable ingredientfor beauty formulations. It serves as a natural emulsifier, facilitating the blending of diversecomponents in… Read more: Sustainable Palm Oil: The Beauty Dilemma
- What Are Ice Rollers and When Should You Use Them?In the world of skincare and beauty, new trends and tools are constantly emerging. One such tool that has gained popularity in recent years is the ice roller. If you’re curious about what ice rollers are and when to use them, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we’ll explore the world… Read more: What Are Ice Rollers and When Should You Use Them?