The Fédération des Entreprises de la Beauté, also known as the FEBEA, has announced that France will be the first country in the EU to be able to export “ordinary” cosmetics to China without animal testing.
How can they do this? China changed their rules.
On January 11th, Chinese authorities published the final cosmetics regulations framework which includes no longer requiring animal testing on “ordinary ” cosmetic products.
To place an ‘ordinary’ product on the Chinese market you now have to only produce a certificate of Good Manufacturing Practices. These are issued by the competent authorities of their country of origin.
Manufactures will also have to undergo a product safety assessment.
These changes are set to be implemented on the 1st of May.
But what exactly are ‘ordinary’ beauty products ?
It may be easier to answer which products aren’t ‘ordinary’. Any products used for hair colouring, perming, and hair loss are not ‘ordinary. Also, sun protection and children’s products are not considered ‘ordinary’.
But why is this such a big deal?
This is a huge win for animal welfare group, who have been seeking to change China’s stance on animal testing for years.
It also opens up the market, allowing Chinese consumers to use French beauty brands and expands the growth of the cruelty-free movement.
“We are delighted with this progress, which rewards several years of efforts made with the Chinese authorities,” Patrick O’Quin, President of the FEBEA, commented.
The cosmetics sector is the only one to have completely banned animal testing in Europe, and we are happy to continue to develop regulations in other parts of the world. This agreement will also allow French cosmetic companies to export under new conditions to China. This country is today our second trading partner.”
- The Kiehls Quiz, Moisturiser EditionThe Kiehls quiz is here! Since I created the quiz section of my site, the requests have been poring through. After The Ordinary, Kiehls has been the most requested. I’m assuming because they have a huge catalogue of products to choose from. It’s so big in fact, the quiz has to be broken down into…
- Best Black Friday Skincare DealsLast years Black Friday post went down a treat. So, this year I knew I had to do it again but this time it’s all about skincare. Here are the best black Friday skincare deals I could find! Honestly, this list came together through just hours of me trawling the web. I wasn’t sure of…
- The Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid QuizThe Ordinary Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic Acid quiz is a much need post. You may be coming hot off the heels of my last post Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid, looking for an easy way to compare your skin needs. Well, this is it. This quiz directly compares your skincare needs to decipher which of these active…
- Niacinamide Vs Hyaluronic AcidIf you’ve followed Science and Skincare for any amount of time, you’ll be aware of my posts on acids. Niacinamide vs Hyaluronic Acid will be the highly requested addition to the category that made this site popular. Depending on your skincare knowledge, choosing between the two will either be easy or incredibly difficult. However, one…
- Lilly Ghalichi Opens Up About Botched Filler But What Is Vascular Occlusion?It’s only been a few days since Lilly Ghalichi showed us pictures of her botched filler job and now we can finally ask the question ‘what is vascular occlusion?’. Over the last ten years the use of dermal fillers has risen exponentially. They have been regarded as a relatively safe way to alter your face.…