The Fédération des Entreprises de la Beauté, also known as the FEBEA, has announced that France will be the first country in the EU to be able to export “ordinary” cosmetics to China without animal testing.
How can they do this? China changed their rules.
On January 11th, Chinese authorities published the final cosmetics regulations framework which includes no longer requiring animal testing on “ordinary ” cosmetic products.
To place an ‘ordinary’ product on the Chinese market you now have to only produce a certificate of Good Manufacturing Practices. These are issued by the competent authorities of their country of origin.
Manufactures will also have to undergo a product safety assessment.
These changes are set to be implemented on the 1st of May.
But what exactly are ‘ordinary’ beauty products ?
It may be easier to answer which products aren’t ‘ordinary’. Any products used for hair colouring, perming, and hair loss are not ‘ordinary. Also, sun protection and children’s products are not considered ‘ordinary’.
But why is this such a big deal?
This is a huge win for animal welfare group, who have been seeking to change China’s stance on animal testing for years.
It also opens up the market, allowing Chinese consumers to use French beauty brands and expands the growth of the cruelty-free movement.
“We are delighted with this progress, which rewards several years of efforts made with the Chinese authorities,” Patrick O’Quin, President of the FEBEA, commented.
The cosmetics sector is the only one to have completely banned animal testing in Europe, and we are happy to continue to develop regulations in other parts of the world. This agreement will also allow French cosmetic companies to export under new conditions to China. This country is today our second trading partner.”
- Can You Use Glycolic Acid Everyday?It is generally not recommended to use glycolic acid every day, as it can be irritating to the skin. It is typically used once or twice a week. However, the frequency of use may vary depending on the concentration of the glycolic acid and the specific product that you are using. It is important to […]
- My Top 5 Christmas Beauty Gifts 2022The 1st of December can only mean one thing, its Christmas gift guide day! Every year the anxiety inducing panic of gift buying commences and every year, I try to help you distinguish what is actually worthwhile, with a well research ‘Christmas beauty gift guide’. Before we begin let me remind you of how I […]
- Is Botox Regulated In The UK? Professionals Agree That Regulation of the Aesthetics Sector Must Now Become a PriorityBy Dr Cormac Convery Contrary to popular myth, most people do not approach the medical intervention of aesthetic surgery lightly. Rather, they are seeking a practical and permanent solution to an issue which has been adversely affecting their lives. In the overwhelming majority of procedures carried out by sensible, qualified professionals, this is exactly the […]
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]