Dove is launching a refill deodorant, as a part of Unilever’s larger plan to tackle plastic waste. This is the second big step Dove has taken to cut down on its plastic waste. In 2019 Dove announced one of the biggest plastic reduction plans of its kind in the global beauty industry, which reduces the use of virgin plastic by more than 20,500 tonnes per year.
Dove believes they can remove as much as 300 tonnes of plastic waste by the year 2023, and they’ll do it by redesigning packaging.
Their refillable deodorant is palm-sized and is made from stainless steel. The whole product is then packaged in a 100% Forest Stewardship Council-grade paper.
However, the refillable concept doesn’t entirely eliminate plastic. The inserts are made from plastic, the design uses 54% less plastic than the traditional deodorant, 98% of which is recycled.
To create their new design, Dove worked with A Plastic Planet on the material selection. Dutch design consultancy VanBerlo also had a hand in the development, they created the sleek design, which focuses on minimizing material usage.
“Imagine a world where nothing hits the bin, where we can use the products we love without the guilt of creating more waste,” said A Plastic Planet co-founder Sian Sutherland.
“As one of the biggest beauty companies in the world, Dove recognizing this, and leading the way to make refillable personal care products widely available to all, is a major step forward for the beauty industry.”
“Cutting consumption and crossing over to circular business models by design, Dove refillable deodorant gives you back an experience not unlike a Swiss army knife,” said VanBerlo design and innovation director Sjoerd Hoijinck. “A quality object that is personal and ages well over time.”
“Our refillable deodorant represents a new, more sustainable way of consumption, reinventing the daily deodorant for a planet in crisis,” said Augusto Garzon, Dove Global Vice President of Deodorants. “Thanks to this sleek, minimalist design, we’ve created something more sustainable and more desirable.”
The refillable design will be available in Target and Walmart stores in the US.
Photo’s courtesy of Dove
- What Are Ice Rollers and When Should You Use Them?In the world of skincare and beauty, new trends and tools are constantly emerging. One such tool that has gained popularity in recent years is the ice roller. If you’re curious about what ice rollers are and when to use them, you’ve come to the right place. In this blog post, we’ll explore the world … Read more
- How To Get Glass SkinThe pursuit of flawless, radiant skin has been a beauty goal for centuries, and one of the latest trends to take the skincare world by storm is achieving “glass skin.” Glass skin is a term used to describe skin that looks incredibly smooth, clear, and reflective, akin to the luminous quality of glass. If you’ve … Read more
- How To Layer SkincareAchieving radiant and healthy-looking skin requires more than just using a handful of skincare products. It involves a well-thought-out skincare routine that incorporates the right products in the correct order. This process is commonly referred to as “layering” skincare. If you’ve ever wondered how to layer skincare effectively, you’re in the right place. In this … Read more
- Treating Skincare Chemical BurnsSkincare routines are an essential part of many people’s daily lives, helping to maintain healthy and radiant skin. However, sometimes even the most diligent routines can lead to unexpected problems, like chemical burns. Whether it’s from a new product, an allergic reaction, or a mistake during application, dealing with a chemical burn on your skin … Read more
- Why Is Skincare Important?Skincare has become an integral part of our daily routines, and for good reason. It’s not just about looking good; it’s about feeling confident and maintaining the health of our largest organ – our skin. In this blog post, we’ll explore the reasons why skincare is important and how it can benefit not only your … Read more