Dove is launching a refill deodorant, as a part of Unilever’s larger plan to tackle plastic waste. This is the second big step Dove has taken to cut down on its plastic waste. In 2019 Dove announced one of the biggest plastic reduction plans of its kind in the global beauty industry, which reduces the use of virgin plastic by more than 20,500 tonnes per year.
Dove believes they can remove as much as 300 tonnes of plastic waste by the year 2023, and they’ll do it by redesigning packaging.
Their refillable deodorant is palm-sized and is made from stainless steel. The whole product is then packaged in a 100% Forest Stewardship Council-grade paper.
However, the refillable concept doesn’t entirely eliminate plastic. The inserts are made from plastic, the design uses 54% less plastic than the traditional deodorant, 98% of which is recycled.
To create their new design, Dove worked with A Plastic Planet on the material selection. Dutch design consultancy VanBerlo also had a hand in the development, they created the sleek design, which focuses on minimizing material usage.
“Imagine a world where nothing hits the bin, where we can use the products we love without the guilt of creating more waste,” said A Plastic Planet co-founder Sian Sutherland.
“As one of the biggest beauty companies in the world, Dove recognizing this, and leading the way to make refillable personal care products widely available to all, is a major step forward for the beauty industry.”
“Cutting consumption and crossing over to circular business models by design, Dove refillable deodorant gives you back an experience not unlike a Swiss army knife,” said VanBerlo design and innovation director Sjoerd Hoijinck. “A quality object that is personal and ages well over time.”
“Our refillable deodorant represents a new, more sustainable way of consumption, reinventing the daily deodorant for a planet in crisis,” said Augusto Garzon, Dove Global Vice President of Deodorants. “Thanks to this sleek, minimalist design, we’ve created something more sustainable and more desirable.”
The refillable design will be available in Target and Walmart stores in the US.
Photo’s courtesy of Dove
- How To Apply Sunscreen CorrectlyIf you’re wondering why I’m writing ‘How To Apply Sunscreen Correctly’, I am going to direct you to read this article first. It felt a little cruel to write that piece and then leave you in the dark about the correct way to look after your skin. So, here’s a quick article on the most…
- Rare Beauty New Eyeshadow’s Are HereFind out everything about the new Rare Beauty launch and how to win your own!
- What Is Jojoba Oil? The Essential Skincare AlphabetJojoba oil is an extremely well used ingredient in the cosmetic industry. The reason for this is pretty simple, it has excellent oxidative stability (1). What this means, is that it will take a long time before it will go rancid. Thus, it is particularly useful for being kept on a shelf. Additionally, this quality…
- Why Gwyneth Paltrow’s Sunscreen Application Is WrongIt’s been confirmed by several Dermatologists, in the past 24 hours. Gwyneth Paltrow’s sunscreen application is DEAD WRONG and is dangerous. You may be wondering what they hell I’m talking about, so just pause and watch this: If you’re really into skincare you may have noticed a few things wrong with what she says in…
- MakeUp Geeks Relaunches Full Spectrum EyelinersMakeUp Geeks has relaunched its Full Spectrum Eyeliners and not everyone is happy about it. In 2019, the social media fuelled brand, decided to completely rebrand themselves. Why? Well, CEO Marlena Stell told Beauty Independent: ‘With the ROI not being very good, everyone is scrambling to figure out how to market’. Referring to social media…