Function of Beauty is a customizable hair, skin, and body care brand that was founded in 2015 by Zahir Dossa, Joshua Maciejewski and Hien Kaplan.
They have now received a $150 million strategic minority investment from L Catterton.
Function of Beauty has been a hit with it’s millennial and Gen Z audience because of it’s ability to provide and luxury and customisable experience for a reasonable price.
They utilise an algorithm that works out which ingredients, and how much of those ingredients, should be used in shampoo and conditioner for each individual user based on the user’s hair type, fragrance choice and hair goals. The company claims the algorithm offers up to 12 billion custom combinations.
The co-founders of the brand said: “In the last five years, the brand has seen phenomenal growth and this investment from L Catterton will further fuel our continued expansion. We are excited to partner with a proven investor in some of the world’s leading consumer brands to realize the many growth opportunities ahead. International expansion beyond our existing 45 markets will continue to be a key priority, along with the pursuit of new avenues for growth within the U.S. as we introduce more customers to the benefits of customization.”
“Function of Beauty has cracked the code of mass customization and is poised to redefine the beauty landscape,” said Avik Pramanik, a Partner of L Catterton’s Flagship Buyout Fund. “We are delighted to partner with Zahir, Joshua, Hien, and the Company’s passionate team to grow the brand. Together, we look forward to deploying an even more aggressive growth marketing strategy in domestic and international markets while fostering breakthrough product innovation in haircare, skincare, and more.”
Photos via Function of Beauty
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]
- AXIS Y Skincare, Korean Skincare ReviewIt has been far too long since I last posted. And even longer since a review was posted on Science and Skincare. However, six months since my last article and I’m ready to share some thoughts on the Korean Skincare brand AXIS Y. AXIS Y is a climate inspired, community focused skincare brand hailing from […]
- SkinStore Latest Skincare DealsSkinStore, apart of the Look Fantastic group, is growing in prominence and has been over the past 10 years. I was shocked to discover they’d been around for 24 years! You may be wondering why one online beauty retailer decided to diverge? What is SkinStore’s USP? Well, apparently it’s the number one destination for premium beauty, […]
- 20 Of The Most Popular Perfumes, According To TikTok To many, perfume is the most intimate way of expressing your inner self and truest personality. Although scent is subjective to taste, there are several fragrances that have gone viral due to their unique scents. So, here are the most popular perfumes ever (this is highly subjective and is based on a small data set). Interested […]