In January of this year Proctor & Gamble announced that it was going to acquire Billie, a DTC brand famed for its ‘squeaky clean’ mantra and Gen Z worthy aesthetics.
However the FTC thinks this acquisition gives Proctor and Gamble an unfair advantage because they are already a market leader in shaving products.
They allege that the purchase would eliminate competition that would otherwise benefit the consumer because Billie is a newer but expanding maker of women’s razors that give the consumer the ability have another cheaper option to what is already offered by P&G.
This is a fair point to make given that P&G already own Gillette, Venus, and Joy. Billie has also made it clear through its messaging that they don’t support the ‘pink tax’ – practice of pricing women’s razors higher than comparable men’s razors. Would P&G keep that message going if they were to acquire them?
Ian Conner, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Competition had this to say about the case; “Billie saw an opportunity to challenge P&G’s position as the market leader by finding underserved, price and quality conscious customers, and building an innovative brand. As its sales grew, Billie was likely to expand into brick-and-mortar stores, posing a serious threat to P&G. If P&G can snuff out Billie’s rapid competitive growth, consumers will likely face higher prices.”
P&G said in a statement that it was disappointed by the FTC’s decision and is considering its options.
What are your thoughts? Are the FTC justified in their action to stop this deal?
Photos via Billie
- Can You Use Glycolic Acid Everyday?It is generally not recommended to use glycolic acid every day, as it can be irritating to the skin. It is typically used once or twice a week. However, the frequency of use may vary depending on the concentration of the glycolic acid and the specific product that you are using. It is important to […]
- My Top 5 Christmas Beauty Gifts 2022The 1st of December can only mean one thing, its Christmas gift guide day! Every year the anxiety inducing panic of gift buying commences and every year, I try to help you distinguish what is actually worthwhile, with a well research ‘Christmas beauty gift guide’. Before we begin let me remind you of how I […]
- Is Botox Regulated In The UK? Professionals Agree That Regulation of the Aesthetics Sector Must Now Become a PriorityBy Dr Cormac Convery Contrary to popular myth, most people do not approach the medical intervention of aesthetic surgery lightly. Rather, they are seeking a practical and permanent solution to an issue which has been adversely affecting their lives. In the overwhelming majority of procedures carried out by sensible, qualified professionals, this is exactly the […]
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]