An estimated 11 million metric tons of plastic flow into the ocean each year, and the volume is forecast to triple over the next 20 years but beauty brand Nivea is focused on reducing it’s part in causing this waste.
The company that owns Nivea, Beiersdorf, has announced an innovative solution in packaging design at the Plastic-Free World Conference.
The bottle and cap of the new Nivea Naturally Good Body Lotion have been designed to contain 50% less plastic that it was previously and the bottle is fully recyclable and can be integrated into the material loop in all countries with existing waste infrastructures.
“As we strongly believe the global plastic problem cannot be solved in silos, but a broader collaboration and joined forces are needed, we are taking action beyond our own business. We are teaming up with our suppliers, trade partners, NGOs, scientific institutions and also with other players in our industry,” says Jean-Francois Pascal, Vice President Corporate Sustainability at Beiersdorf.
“We want to really drive the topic forward and contribute to the change we need within a broader context.”
Beiersdorf was only one among 29 other companies to sign the business call for a UN treaty on plastic pollution initiated by the WWF, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, and the Boston Consulting Group.
The 30 companies that signed this treaty are hoping to push governments to agree to a UN plastic pollution treaty, to help massively reduce what we put in the oceans.
Beiersdorf is hoping to end this year by having converted 90% of its PET bottles in Europe to include recycled material.
- Can You Use Glycolic Acid Everyday?It is generally not recommended to use glycolic acid every day, as it can be irritating to the skin. It is typically used once or twice a week. However, the frequency of use may vary depending on the concentration of the glycolic acid and the specific product that you are using. It is important to […]
- My Top 5 Christmas Beauty Gifts 2022The 1st of December can only mean one thing, its Christmas gift guide day! Every year the anxiety inducing panic of gift buying commences and every year, I try to help you distinguish what is actually worthwhile, with a well research ‘Christmas beauty gift guide’. Before we begin let me remind you of how I […]
- Is Botox Regulated In The UK? Professionals Agree That Regulation of the Aesthetics Sector Must Now Become a PriorityBy Dr Cormac Convery Contrary to popular myth, most people do not approach the medical intervention of aesthetic surgery lightly. Rather, they are seeking a practical and permanent solution to an issue which has been adversely affecting their lives. In the overwhelming majority of procedures carried out by sensible, qualified professionals, this is exactly the […]
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]