An estimated 11 million metric tons of plastic flow into the ocean each year, and the volume is forecast to triple over the next 20 years but beauty brand Nivea is focused on reducing it’s part in causing this waste.
The company that owns Nivea, Beiersdorf, has announced an innovative solution in packaging design at the Plastic-Free World Conference.
The bottle and cap of the new Nivea Naturally Good Body Lotion have been designed to contain 50% less plastic that it was previously and the bottle is fully recyclable and can be integrated into the material loop in all countries with existing waste infrastructures.
“As we strongly believe the global plastic problem cannot be solved in silos, but a broader collaboration and joined forces are needed, we are taking action beyond our own business. We are teaming up with our suppliers, trade partners, NGOs, scientific institutions and also with other players in our industry,” says Jean-Francois Pascal, Vice President Corporate Sustainability at Beiersdorf.
“We want to really drive the topic forward and contribute to the change we need within a broader context.”
Beiersdorf was only one among 29 other companies to sign the business call for a UN treaty on plastic pollution initiated by the WWF, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, and the Boston Consulting Group.
The 30 companies that signed this treaty are hoping to push governments to agree to a UN plastic pollution treaty, to help massively reduce what we put in the oceans.
Beiersdorf is hoping to end this year by having converted 90% of its PET bottles in Europe to include recycled material.
- Krave Beauty’s Beet Shield Fails SPF TestKrave Beauty’s Beet Shield has failed an SPF Test, it has announced on a statement on its Instagram page. Read the statement for yourself below: The brand claimed they decided to conduct their own (independent from their manufacturer) test to verify the protection in their products. They partnered with multiple 3rd party lab’s based in…
- What Is Kojic Acid? The Essential Skincare AlphabetKojic acid is a relatively new up and coming skincare ingredient. The reason for this, I believe, is because of the sudden interest in treating skin pigmentation conditions using acids. What is Kojic acid? In short, it’s a by-product of the aerobic process of carbohydrates. However, this is a beauty blog, so that is probably…
- How To Apply Sunscreen CorrectlyIf you’re wondering why I’m writing ‘How To Apply Sunscreen Correctly’, I am going to direct you to read this article first. It felt a little cruel to write that piece and then leave you in the dark about the correct way to look after your skin. So, here’s a quick article on the most…
- Rare Beauty New Eyeshadow’s Are HereFind out everything about the new Rare Beauty launch and how to win your own!
- What Is Jojoba Oil? The Essential Skincare AlphabetJojoba oil is an extremely well used ingredient in the cosmetic industry. The reason for this is pretty simple, it has excellent oxidative stability (1). What this means, is that it will take a long time before it will go rancid. Thus, it is particularly useful for being kept on a shelf. Additionally, this quality…