An estimated 11 million metric tons of plastic flow into the ocean each year, and the volume is forecast to triple over the next 20 years but beauty brand Nivea is focused on reducing it’s part in causing this waste.
The company that owns Nivea, Beiersdorf, has announced an innovative solution in packaging design at the Plastic-Free World Conference.
The bottle and cap of the new Nivea Naturally Good Body Lotion have been designed to contain 50% less plastic that it was previously and the bottle is fully recyclable and can be integrated into the material loop in all countries with existing waste infrastructures.
“As we strongly believe the global plastic problem cannot be solved in silos, but a broader collaboration and joined forces are needed, we are taking action beyond our own business. We are teaming up with our suppliers, trade partners, NGOs, scientific institutions and also with other players in our industry,” says Jean-Francois Pascal, Vice President Corporate Sustainability at Beiersdorf.
“We want to really drive the topic forward and contribute to the change we need within a broader context.”
Beiersdorf was only one among 29 other companies to sign the business call for a UN treaty on plastic pollution initiated by the WWF, the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, and the Boston Consulting Group.
The 30 companies that signed this treaty are hoping to push governments to agree to a UN plastic pollution treaty, to help massively reduce what we put in the oceans.
Beiersdorf is hoping to end this year by having converted 90% of its PET bottles in Europe to include recycled material.
- CurrentBody, LED Mask ReviewIn today’s hot seat is CurrentBody’s Skin LED Light Therapy Mask, also known as the mask loved by Kristin Davis, Kaley Cuoco, Suki Waterhouse, Nina Garcia, Oscar nominee Carey Mulligan and many more. Before, CurrentBody sent me this mask, I had never used LED skincare before. I like to play skincare safely. I don’t use […]
- In Conversation With Nichola Joss, Lymphatic Drainage Massage ExpertIt was an uncharacteristically hot day in London when I went to visit Nichola Joss at the Mandarin Oriental. Nichola and I first met during a consultation through the online service Get Harley (which you can read more about here). I was testing the service for a blog post and wasn’t sure what to expect. […]
- AXIS Y Skincare, Korean Skincare ReviewIt has been far too long since I last posted. And even longer since a review was posted on Science and Skincare. However, six months since my last article and I’m ready to share some thoughts on the Korean Skincare brand AXIS Y. AXIS Y is a climate inspired, community focused skincare brand hailing from […]
- SkinStore Latest Skincare DealsSkinStore, apart of the Look Fantastic group, is growing in prominence and has been over the past 10 years. I was shocked to discover they’d been around for 24 years! You may be wondering why one online beauty retailer decided to diverge? What is SkinStore’s USP? Well, apparently it’s the number one destination for premium beauty, […]
- 20 Of The Most Popular Perfumes, According To TikTok To many, perfume is the most intimate way of expressing your inner self and truest personality. Although scent is subjective to taste, there are several fragrances that have gone viral due to their unique scents. So, here are the most popular perfumes ever (this is highly subjective and is based on a small data set). Interested […]