American actress, singer, and television personality Keke Palmer has opened up about what it’s like to have acne caused by polycystic ovary syndrome.
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition that affects how the ovaries work and the symptoms of it include irregular periods, facial hair and difficulty getting pregnant.
Just a few days ago Palmer posted to her social media page to show her skin without makeup during an acne flare-up.
Palmer’s struggles are something that I’m sure many of us can sympathise with because it is a difficult process to try and explain just how much something can have an affect on you.
This is often the case with skincare because people tend to get frustrated with no change when they’ve tried everything that has been suggested for them.
Her post raised this point saying, “my skin has made me sad many nights but I do not give up on myself. I know this is not me and my body has been looking for help. I do not have a medical degree but I did the research and took what I learned to a doctor and that led them to a proper diagnosis.”
Palmer is frequently outspoken about her experience with acne
Palmer should be applauded for her candidness when its comes to her own skin problems and this isn’t the first time she’s spoken about it.
Her willingness to talk about the ups and downs of having acne, which can be similar for many skin problems, will help a lot of people who experience the same thing.
In November she tweeted “I hate how unexplained acne is & how it has about 15 million causes” and “everyone’s acne is aggravated by something different. You can have the best products, drink a gallon of water w/ ‘lemon’ but if you have PCOS that won’t help.”
This advice from someone with a large following is essential as it shows those suffering with a similar problem that it’s not always easy to fix the problem and in some cases its very difficult to find a solution because the cause can vary greatly from person to person. But more importantly, its OK if you don’t find a solution overnight.
The key is to keep trying.
Photos via Keke Palmers Instagram
- Krave Beauty’s Beet Shield Fails SPF TestKrave Beauty’s Beet Shield has failed an SPF Test, it has announced on a statement on its Instagram page. Read the statement for yourself below: The brand claimed they decided to conduct their own (independent from their manufacturer) test to verify the protection in their products. They partnered with multiple…
- What Is Kojic Acid? The Essential Skincare AlphabetKojic acid is a relatively new up and coming skincare ingredient. The reason for this, I believe, is because of the sudden interest in treating skin pigmentation conditions using acids. What is Kojic acid? In short, it’s a by-product of the aerobic process of carbohydrates. However, this is a beauty…
- How To Apply Sunscreen CorrectlyIf you’re wondering why I’m writing ‘How To Apply Sunscreen Correctly’, I am going to direct you to read this article first. It felt a little cruel to write that piece and then leave you in the dark about the correct way to look after your skin. So, here’s a…
- Rare Beauty New Eyeshadow’s Are HereFind out everything about the new Rare Beauty launch and how to win your own!
- What Is Jojoba Oil? The Essential Skincare AlphabetJojoba oil is an extremely well used ingredient in the cosmetic industry. The reason for this is pretty simple, it has excellent oxidative stability (1). What this means, is that it will take a long time before it will go rancid. Thus, it is particularly useful for being kept on…