American actress, singer, and television personality Keke Palmer has opened up about what it’s like to have acne caused by polycystic ovary syndrome.
Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition that affects how the ovaries work and the symptoms of it include irregular periods, facial hair and difficulty getting pregnant.
Just a few days ago Palmer posted to her social media page to show her skin without makeup during an acne flare-up.
Palmer’s struggles are something that I’m sure many of us can sympathise with because it is a difficult process to try and explain just how much something can have an affect on you.
This is often the case with skincare because people tend to get frustrated with no change when they’ve tried everything that has been suggested for them.
Her post raised this point saying, “my skin has made me sad many nights but I do not give up on myself. I know this is not me and my body has been looking for help. I do not have a medical degree but I did the research and took what I learned to a doctor and that led them to a proper diagnosis.”
Palmer is frequently outspoken about her experience with acne
Palmer should be applauded for her candidness when its comes to her own skin problems and this isn’t the first time she’s spoken about it.
Her willingness to talk about the ups and downs of having acne, which can be similar for many skin problems, will help a lot of people who experience the same thing.
In November she tweeted “I hate how unexplained acne is & how it has about 15 million causes” and “everyone’s acne is aggravated by something different. You can have the best products, drink a gallon of water w/ ‘lemon’ but if you have PCOS that won’t help.”
This advice from someone with a large following is essential as it shows those suffering with a similar problem that it’s not always easy to fix the problem and in some cases its very difficult to find a solution because the cause can vary greatly from person to person. But more importantly, its OK if you don’t find a solution overnight.
The key is to keep trying.
Photos via Keke Palmers Instagram
- TikTok Users Going Crazy Over This MascaraIt has been dubbed the ‘TikTok Mascara’ and fans are going crazy for its incredibly dreamy results. It is, of course, the Maybelline’s Lash Sensational Sky High mascara which promises to volumize and extend every single lash from root to tip for a limitless length look. At just £9.99, the high street…
- Jonathan Van Ness To Create Clean Haircare With AmyrisJonathan Van Ness, American hairdresser, television personality, podcast host, actor, and author is teaming up with Amyris to launch a new clean haircare brand. Amyris is an industry leader in the Clean Health & Beauty and Flavors & Fragrances markets. With this partnership, they aim to de-gender and revolutionise the…
- Kiehls Update Ultra Facial Oil-Free Gel Cream, For 24 Hours Of Shine Free HydrationKiehls update Ultra Facial Oil Free Gel Cream and in doing so are helping to continue making the start of 2021 better than the year previous. This is big news for those who have oily skin because it’s the sister cream to the iconic Ultra Facial Cream, which had its…
- Shop My Routine, 18th January 2021I’m not sure if you’ll remember but I used to have a category on Science and Skincare that was all about sharing which products I’m using with you. I hadn’t posted anything in it for awhile, I wasn’t sure if you found it useful. However, I want to bring it…
- Perfect Your Pout With PatchologyPatchology is here to help treat your parched winter pout with it’s very own ‘Lip Service’ and it’s just in time for Valentine’s Day. They’ve put together a combination of their three best lip products to make sure you’re lips are fully nourished throughout the winter season and for the…